Something about Derrick Miller’s look is just perfect here. I love everything about it. To this shoes to his glasses to his pocket square. I have a lot of catching up to do this summer now that I lost weight and am at a consistent frame at which I can work with.
1. Pants Pants Pants. I’ve never realized how important pants are until I hit college. Not even. Up until this summer. I realized for the last 4 years I was so intent on finding the perfect tops that all my pants just look sloppy on me. It’s time to get those perfect chinos, khakis, and play with all sorts of different colors. Fit’s the most important. Tucked in or not, they have to look perfect.
2. The V neck. I realized if I can just get a nice colored V neck and perfect pants, I don’t need much else for a summer look.
3. Blazing the blazer. I never had the confidence to wear my black blazer around. I’ve done it around… twice in my life. Then it hit me. It’s too formal! I realized there’s so many different colored and textured blazers out there. Also fit fit fit. The blazer needs to cut off perfectly at the wrist and contour your shoulders.
4. Oh the belt. Oh the belt. Yes I said it again. So I just recently heard that the belt color needs to match the shoe color (also I realized it would be really nice for it to match the watch color as well). Thankfully, the one good belt I have can flip to do both brown and black so WHEW. for now. But there’s different widths and different looks, based on what season it is and what you wear. SO COMPLICATED.
5. Shoes are expensive. Unfortunately they are important as well. Just dropped a $100 on nice boat shoes the other week. I used to think I can rock high tops, but at my measly 5’ 8” stature. Um. Nope! So time to buy shoes which fit me. No more hype beast nike blazers or high top converses. Stick to the low cuts Edward. Loafers and some nice fitting converses next! (Just realized also that my shoe size is actually 9 not 10…which is why my shoes are always falling off)
6. Four eyed monster. Glasses can complement so many looks I realized and it would be nice not to end up with stinging eyes after wearing contacts during long days. My current pair looks like…like really bad. So it’s time to invest in some nice frames and get some new lenses. Biggest problem is! My eye sights so bad that the lenses are going to be really thick and might just make the whole thing look like a mess.
7. Shady shady! So losing my wayfarers at Sun God wasn’t fun. Definitely learned a lesson there. But then again, I realized those blue shades were cheesy at times and didn’t complement most of what I was wearing. I realized black and tortoise was the way to go. Gosh darnit Dad, why’d you buy me Ray Bans when I graduated from high school. Hooked on expensive sunglasses now. -.-
8. Lost the earrings. Been there done that. I realized I used earrings to try to liven up my ugly old face, but it’s just been an excuse to get out of dressing well. It was a way to compensate. (I know what you are thinking. DON’T) I realized it doesn’t really fly anymore like old times. Let’s leave it to the women. Byebye earrings.
There’s still a lot I have to learn and realized it’s definitely an expensive and developing process. It’s a huge industry and I’m just at the tip of the iceberg.